Become a Host Family
If you are looking for a truly rewarding experience, consider becoming a Safe Families for Children Host Family. You will make a lasting impression on a child in need and possibly change the trajectory of a family.
Follow these simple steps to become an approved Host Family:
- Fill out an application. You may find some of our questions quite personal, but it is important that we get to know you, so we can make sure that all Safe Families volunteers are well-equipped to handle their responsibilities.
- Expect a home visit. When we receive your completed application, we will contact you to arrange a home visit. The visit will allow us to get to know you and your family and to walk through your home.
- Complete our training. All Host Families are required to complete the Safe Family training. This can be done online or in-person.
- Expect a background check. You will need to be fingerprinted so that criminal and child-abuse background checks can be conducted.
- Submit three references. You will need to provide us with contact information or reference letters from three people (non-family members) who know you well.